Ethel was the sixth (or seventh) of eight children born to Mason Raspburn and Rachel Francis Ferguson Casto. She was born 31 August 1892 in Benton County, Missouri. (I told you I had a lot of Missouri roots!)
She married Charles Oliver Stephens on 4 January 1920 in Sedalia, Pettis County, Missouri.
|Charles and Ethel's Marriage License|
Since Ethel is my Casto connection though, I'll mostly focus on her.
The 1900 census is the first time we see Ethel appear. She is surrounded by a bunch of Castos! She's living in Williams, Benton County, Missouri. Her Uncle George Washington Casto is living right next door, and her grandparents, Hiram and Sarah Casto are living next door to them. (Her grandmother Sarah's maiden name was also Casto.)
|Clipping from 1900 census|
|Clipping from 1900 census showing the rest of the kids in Mason's household|
|Clipping from 1910 census|
Charles and Ethel show up together in the 1920 census. They are living in Sedalia, renting a room or apartment from Rosa Hayes. I don't know who this Rosa Hayes is, but one of her sons, Ross is listed as being a "locomotive fireman" and Charles is listed as being a "fireman roundhouse." Then, after their occupations, it says "Katy." I wonder if these two boys worked together on the Katy railroad, which ran from Missouri to Texas.
|Clipping from 1920 census showing occupations of people living in Rosa Hayes' house|
Rosa Hayes (head), Ross Hayes (son), Lloyd Hayes (son), Ida Shumate (niece), Charley Stevans (head), Ethel Stevans (wife)
Together, Charles and Ethel had at least four children:
- Joy Decimund Stephens
- Marion Oliver Stephens
- Isabella Rebecca Stephens
- Robert David Stephens
Charles died 4 February 1957 at the VA Hospital in Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri. His cause of death was recorded as brochopneumonia due to multiple liver abscesses and bacteremia.
|Clipping from Charles Stephens' death certificate showing cause of death|
- 1900 Williams, Benton County, Missouri U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
- 1910 Williams, Benton County, Missouri U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
- 1920 Sedalia, Pettis County, Missouri U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
- 1930 Mokane, Callaway County, Missouri U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
- 1940 Fulton, Callaway County, Missouri U.S. Federal Census (accessed on Ancestry)
- Charles O Stephens Death Certificate (accessed on Missouri Digital Heritage)
- Katy Railroad Historical Society
- Marriage License, Charles O Stephens and Ethel Casto (accessed on Ancestry)